Saturday, September 20, 2008

Through a glass, Darkly....why?


I titled this blog "Through a Glass, Darkly" for two reasons:

1) It is a reference to I Corinthians 12:12, which fully states: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known"

The verse speaks about the fact that a Christian living on earth does not yet have a clear picture of God, or Heaven, or Eternity; he sees through a glass, darkly.  But someday, that same Christian will stand face-to-face before God, with nothing obscuring his vision.

2) That same scripture reference, I think, describes well the photographic process (a passion of mine).  A digital sensor, or a piece of film, is held in darkness by a camera, until the shutter opens, and light from the outside world is emitted through a glass lens.  The resulting image may be beautiful, but it falls short of perfectly capturing reality.


As a Christian, I find myself often feeling this way about life: often-times it just doesn't make sense.  While I trust God to be good and righteous, I am sometimes perplexed at the state of reality.  I believe that a day will come when I stand before God and everything will make sense, but until then I'm stuck on a journey, where I squint and strain my eyes, trying to look through the dirt at what lies ahead.

I guess that is what this blog will be about, assuming I keep up with it: the life of my wife and I, and the journeys we are on, as well as my random musings on any of a number of other topics.

4 comments:

Ronin Axe-336 said...

Yo, this is James C. I posted on your Facebook that I'm also on here, so I figured I should leave a comment on here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Elizabeth Melanie said...

you have me hooked.
I think one of the things I struggle the most with is this idea of why reality does not reflect what scripture seems to, and things happen that we can't begin to reconcile with who God says He is. (at least, our finite little minds can't...)
I'm glad you're back to blogging. I always enjoyed your xangas. Those were the days!

amy said...

yess!! welcome back :-)

Ronin Axe-336 said...

Left 4 Dead and Far Cry 2 for sure look like they'll be good. I've been somewhat unsure about the Aliens franchise for a while. I stopped playing WOW a while ago and if Spore isn't running well on my PC I'm not even going to try Starcraft 2.

As to a PC I'll get back to you on it because I would certainly be interested, but I'd have save up some money first, which I just recently started doing with some measure of resolve. And as to LAN parties, it would be dependent on me getting the money for my own decent gaming machine and also I'm mostly into strategy games on PC (Civ 4, Warcraft 3, etc.), shooters I play pretty much exclusively on consoles because I'm more comfortable with the controls.